The 21 Suggestions for Success by H. Jackson Brown, Jr., is one of my favorite compilations of success tips. There’s something on the list for everyone who desires to lead a successful life. When I first saw the list many years ago, I recognized then that it contained many useful tips and it’s something that I continue to reference to this day (I have a poster version hung at my office).
Here are the 21 Suggestions for Success:
- Marry the right person. This one decision will determine 90% of your happiness or misery.
- Work at something you enjoy and that’s worthy of your time and talent.
- Give people more than they expect and do it cheerfully.
- Become the most positive and enthusiastic person you know.
- Be forgiving of yourself and others.
- Be generous.
- Have a grateful heart.
- Persistence, persistence, persistence.
- Discipline yourself to save money on even the most modest salary.
- Treat everyone you meet like you want to be treated.
- Commit yourself to constant improvement.
- Commit yourself to quality.
- Understand that happiness is not based on possessions, power or prestige, but on relationships with people you love and respect.
- Be loyal.
- Be honest.
- Be a self-starter.
- Be decisive even if it means you’ll sometimes be wrong.
- Stop blaming others. Take responsibility for every area of your life.
- Be bold and courageous. When you look back on your life, you’ll regret the things you didn’t do more than the ones you did.
- Take good care of those you love.
- Don’t do anything that wouldn’t make your Mom proud.
I firmly believe there’s no limit to how successful one can be. The only limit to a person’s success is oneself. If we treat success as a journey and not a destination, more of us may recognize and experience it along the way. H. Jackson Brown, Jr., created a thoughtful list of success tips. But it’s up to us to decide if his 21 Suggestions for Success inspire us to be the very best.
What are your thoughts?
Which of the 21 Suggestions for Success is your favorite and why? What suggestion for success would you add to this list?